White Card QLD identification

White Cards are nationally recognised licenses required to enter construction sites in Australia. They are issued after completing the accredited unit of competency CPCCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry.

You need to provide evidence of identity to be issued with a general construction induction card (QLD White Card). The identification requirements vary by state and territory.

In Queensland, identification documents are split into two categories: category A documents and category B documents. You must bring a total of 3 documents, with at least one document from each category. In other words, you must bring either:

  • One category A document and two category B documents
  • Two category A documents and one category B document

Combined, the 3 documents will show:

  • your full name
  • a photo of yourself
  • your date of birth
  • your signature

All documents must be originals and issued by an Australian authority unless otherwise indicated.

Here is the full list of identification documents:

Category A
Document Status
Full birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages Current
Bicentennial birth certificate (born in 1988) Current
Australian Citizenship Certificate Current
Australian passport (including Australian Document of Identity) Current or expired less than two years
Foreign passport Current or expired less than two years
Australian photo driver licence Current or expired less than two years
Adult proof of age card (18+ Card) Issued after 01/01/1992
Visa Evidence Card (with PLO56 Visa) Current
DIBP - ImmiCard; Temporary or Resident Visa; Document for travel to Australia. Note: Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is not accepted. Valid up to five years after issue
Category B
Document Status
Australian firearm licence (with photo) Current
Education institution student identity document (must include photo and/or signature) Current
Department of Veterans Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession card (including Healthcare card) Current
Medicare card Current
Australian security guard/crowd controller licence (with photo) Current
Australian Defence Force photo identity card Current
Financial institution debit/credit card (must include signature and embossed/printed name). Current

Most learners bring their drivers license, medicare card and debit/credit card.

You must bring those documents to your general construction induction training (White Card course). The registered training organisation (RTO) you're completing the training with will verify the documents prior to issuing your White Card.

Note: Special arrangements exist for temporary overseas workers

If you are in Australia on a work visa, you can bring your passport & visa, as well as one of the following 3 documents issued by your home country:

  • drivers' licence
  • financial institution card
  • birth certificate

Looking to book your White Card course?